Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Take1



AE—JR
April 2001

J: I was looking out the window, just cause I was fascinated by what was going on out there, you know? And the street you know, it was like two o'clock in the morning and you know, I'm just watching these guys. They're just walkin back and forth. I don't know, probably high on crack. I...I'll say...one time, I saw this guy I see a lot, and this old junker van pulls up...They went into an apartment next door, came out five minutes later...

A: Oh man...

J: Yeah, there's no question about what's going on there.

---

A: I'm telling you these...this, apartment has got some great hallways...

J: Yeah.

A: You know, like with those lights, especially...

J: Yeah.

A: I mean look down that hallway.

---

J: Yeah unfortunately this room never reached its potential...

A: Yeah...

J: That couch in this room, with those windows open on a nice day...

A: Definitely.

J: We had that for about a week...

A: …But I guess I over-conceptualize my social interactions maybe. Like there only has to be quality interaction or there only has to something I’m getting out of it. It’s hard thing to hold yourself to because it ends you spend your time doing the things that mean something.

J: Yeah, there aren’t that many people that I guess I consider worth my time. And that’s, I think, when you hear someone say that, I think the urge is to believe they have a large ego or something. But it’s not like I’m asking for you, to treat me, any special…I’m just gonna stay over here, and do my thing, you do your thing…pretty antisocial.

A: But it’s honest and you know, a matter of authenticity.

— “Come on rain down, on me…”—



J: Who, the hell, is that…this is one of those…alright, a good friend, but, …about our conversation just now.

A: You got to choose your people…

***

J: Well I’m trippin’. Man, I could just sit in this chair for hours, and stare at one thing. That’s the mega high aspect. I call it “mega high.” Mega high. Right now, you know, it’s like a thousand times more than pot. But in the fact that this does serve a purpose, in the sense that they don’t overlap in some areas.

A: Right. Which is a distinction I think you can make…cuz there’s that world and…

J: Cuz I don’t know anyone else…I know other people who smoke…but I don’t know anyone else who’s trippin. And it’s just one more microscopic level. I think some of those people in the quad today were…

A: Oh yeah, for sure.

J: Do you think they were on Kid A?

A: Yeah. Well they were at least smoking weed.

J: They were?

A: Yeah, there was definitely weed out there.

J: Oh really. Cuz I was just sitting there looking at them.

A: Some girl was talking about the rubber bong in her bag…

J: Yeah I could have sworn I heard some chick today, when I was just, you know, asking how the seeds were doing.

A: Well, I was at that 4 square game for a while, you know, just watching, scribbling some notes, and two guys taking a break were just talking about grinding up some shrooms and eating it, like for tonight or something. Like one of those kids I know, Ryan, he was shrooming in the quad and playing croquet last week…

J: Shrooming, and playing croquet!

A: Yeah and I came up to him and was like what’s going on? He’s like, not much. They’re just kinda playing . But I actually heard that from his roommate, I didn’t know it at the time, but apparently he had some friends in town last week…Just an afternoon like that…you just gotta take advantage…so a lot of those kids in the quad were on some drugs today.

J: You really thought that…

A: Yeah I really did. Which is very cool, in an aloof sense, cuz we’re in our own worlds…but…

J: I really would like to know how that compares with some other places…cuz I’m sure it’s probably pretty much the same…

A: …Drugs definitely get a spin in the media, like, with rave culture…like it’s destructive…which it’s not…

J: The line in this song goes…da, da da da…and I say, “pack, me a bowl”…

A: So you’re hinting at Radiohead doing acid then…

J: Man, I saw them on SNL, this winter…

A: Ah, fuck, I missed that twice now cuz they just replayed it…

J: Yeah, I caught it at a bar. And Thom Yorke…definitely on something…

A: Well they put out a video for Idioteque. Directed by Grant Gee…did Meeting People is Easy…that’s something you should see. In the video for that, it’s pretty tight, there’s this point where he just starts wiggin out, you know, he’s got his hand is up, his fingers just doing that…but I have a feeling that the performance on SNL is similar, where he has that freakout…But you know, Radiohead can jam better than pretty much most people out there. You go to track…I don’t know how familiar you are with Kid A, but Optimistic, even on this album, they can jam out, and it’s really technically flawless. That’s when you have everyone in the band thinking…you can read the notes of their recordings…Ed keeps a diary, and everyone’s off…

--“sentimental android”--

J: What do you think…

A: The terms should be?

J: Yeah I was listening to OK Computer nonstop, I just had to cut myself off…Well we’re out of cigarettes, so…

A: We’re gonna hit the Red Sea, pick up a pack…

J: Except I don’t have any cash…

A: That’s fine, cuz I just cashed my paycheck, which is great that we decided to do this on a Friday…but the conditions are right…I think that kind of spontaneity…just let it be for that sake…don’t necessarily have to put a guideline on it…let the intuition kind of, you know…

J: You know Friday afternoon, is just…Well I guess there’s next Friday…I have these, and six tabs…

A: What is that all together? You’re gonna be hanging on to some of that after summer…or…you think that would be…



J: I, I can’t really seeing these lasting…

A: Yeah.

J: And I hope there’s gonna be a connection…



--Red Sea—

A: No one ever thinks about the people that are walking around…you know, they’re out, walking by…

. But on our campus, maybe 3%.

J: 3?

A: Yeah.

--Back at John’s apartment, passing the bowl, again—

—Pink Floyd, ANIMALS—

A: Definitely a quality of disorganized thought…like a stream of consciousness…think that’s why you can’t really remember, can’t put yourself back into that…It’s kinda funny cuz La Dolce Vita, that Felinni film I was telling you about, you really do have to catch this, but it’s , there’s these characters that drink, kinda a swanky Italian itelligensia, and the host records their conversations, and I won’t tell you too much, that recording ends up coming up really strange in other places…so, that what he does…there’s no story…it’s just the images and sounds that get recycled in slightly modified form throughout that you have to pick up on…it’s not something you can explain to someone who wants $7.50 action, whatever…those sort of subtleties reward you on subsequent approaches. It can change for you, reveal itself differently. It’s probably better, there’s 45 minutes of the film I didn’t see…but trying to devote one’s mental attention to something like that for 3 hours is an experience in itself. And when you think about the other things you can attend to…all the things you can attend to…you definitely have a quality where you have a certain amount devoted to the film…there’s this part for the film, and this no traditional film by any means, kinda free-flowing, but physical proximity to other people, like this girl I like, all those things come into play…there’s different levels of consciousness going around…I don’t know where that leaves us…ha. I think this is something I would have like to have done earlier…well, earlier in the day…but earlier too…but it seems like a day thing to do…the night has a different quality to it. Can’t quite put my finger on it. Makes you more introspective…unless it’s me reviewing the past day. I like that toothpick…

J: Yeah I had a toothpick last week…

A: I don’t know why that strikes me as funny…




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?